Wednesday, December 12, 2007

May 4th Singers Song: STAND UP !





Wei Min March-April 1974 Vol.3 No.5

literature & art

The following song was written and sung by the May 4th Singers and Prairie Fire at the Chinatown International Women’ s Day -Celebration and the Bay Area InternationaI Women’s Day Celebra­tion, 1974:

Chorus:

Stand up! For your jobs and your families.

Stand up! If you want a better life.

Stand up! You got to think about your children.

STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!

Mama took me with her

When she went to work at six.

I slept beside the chair

Where Mama served that ten-hour shift.

Mama’s paycheck couldn’t fill

No babysitting bill.

So Mama took me with her.

Chorus

Working after school -

My homework’s never done

McDonald’s pays me nothing

They work me to the bone.

With jobs so hard-to find

They got me in a bind

working after school

Chorus

Working on the line

Thinking words I dare not say

Henry works beside me

Making almost twice the pay.

It makes you stop and think

We do the same damn thing

Working on the line.

Chorus

Now that I’m a mother -

Childcare’s what we need

It takes both our incomes

To feed our family.

Men and women work together

United, to make life better

Sisters and Brothers!

Chorus

Stand up! For your jobs and your families.

Stand up! If you want a better life.

Stand up! You got to think about your children.

STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!

No comments: